The House of Guitars®,Inc. is located in Rochester, New York and known as the “Largest Guitar Store in the World.” The store was started in 1964 by Bruce and Armand Schaubroeck out of the basement of their mother’s home and quickly became famous for being the intersection of music, art and culture.
In 1964 when the Beatles came to America, brothers Armand & Bruce opened their first store in their mother’s basement. Working other jobs, the Schaubroeck brothers ran paper routes and worked at local meat markets by day and sold guitars by night. Catering more to the young than other music retailers at the time by selling more affordable guitars & allowing customers to get hands on with the instruments, business began to explode. “Mom would come home from work, totally exhausted both mentally and physically and she’d see teenage kids all over her house and salesman in three piece suits with suitcases out; these sharks taking money from her babies,” says Bruce. “She hit a breaking point and threw everybody out.”
In the early 70’s, owners Armand & Bruce purchased a historical building in Irondequoit that was formerly known as the Grange Hall. Built in the early 1900’s, farmers of Irondequoit had created a lucrative “market gardening” community & needed a place to gather. The Grange Hall provided social activities for the farming community such as amateur theatrical performances, dances, meetings & more. This historical building would prove to be a great move for the Schaubroeck brothers and remain their current store location to this day.